Ten Signs That Your Home May Need Rewiring
Electrical wiring is an essential part of any home. It helps to power our lights, appliances, and electronic devices. But over time, wires can become worn or damaged. If your home is more than 40 years old, it may be time to rewire it.
Here are ten signs that your home may need rewiring:
Old Fuse Electrical Panel
The main problem with panels that feature fuses is that when fuses burn out regularly, homeowners are apt to simply replace the fuses in question with ones designed to be used with higher currents rather than addressing the root cause. For example, they will use a 30A fuse for a 15A circuit. While this will probably stop the fuses from burning out, it will also remove the protection provided by correctly-rated components.
Replacing fuses in a service panel with components for higher load circuits creates an unnecessary fire risk. The 14-gauge wire used in 15A domestic circuits may overheat and start a fire when asked to handle a higher current. An electrical panel upgrade is better than replacing components and repairing the home if necessary.
Frequent Circuit Breaker Trips
Even if you have a circuit breaker electrical panel, if your circuit breaker trips often, it's usually because there's too much strain on the electrical system. Circuit breaker trips are caused by old wiring or overloading circuits with too many appliances. If you constantly reset your circuit breaker, call an electrician to see if you need to upgrade your panel or look into rewiring your home or office.
If your lights are flickering or dimming, it could signify loose wires or faulty grounding. Faulty light bulbs can also cause flickering. If changing the lightbulb doesn't solve the problem, it's time to call an electrician.
Shockingly High Electricity Bills
If your electricity bills have been unusually high lately, it could be because your home's wiring is outdated and inefficient. By having your house rewired, you can save money on your monthly energy bills.
Frequent Circuit Breaker Trips
If your circuit breaker trips often, it's usually because there's too much strain on the electrical system. Frequent circuit breaker trips can be caused by old wiring or overloading circuits with too many appliances. If you constantly reset your circuit breaker, call an electrician to check things out.
Outlets and Switches That Are Discoloured or Hot to the Touch
Other signs that your home may need rewiring are discolouration of outlets and switches, or they are hot to the touch. Discoloured outlets or outlets that are hot to the touch may be caused by loose wiring or too much electricity flowing through the circuits. If you notice this problem, unplug all appliances and devices from the affected outlet and call an electrician immediately.
Buzzing Sounds Coming from Outlets or Switches
If you hear a buzzing sound coming from an outlet or switch, it's another sign that your home may need rewiring. This sound could be caused by loose wiring or faulty connections. If you hear this sound, call an electrician to inspect your wiring as soon as possible.
Burning Smells Coming from Outlets or Switches
If you smell burning from an outlet or switch, it's a definite sign that your home needs rewiring. This problem could be caused by overloaded circuits or faulty wiring. If you smell burning, immediately unplug all appliances and devices from the affected outlet and call an electrician immediately.
Home Insurance Policy Has Been Cancelled or Not Renewed
If your home insurance policy is cancelled or not renewed, it could be because the insurance company has found that your home needs rewiring. In this case, it's best to get a quote from an electrician to see how much it would cost to rewire your home. You should also shop for new homeowners insurance policies to ensure you get the best coverage for your needs
You Plan to Sell Your Home
If you're planning to sell your home, you'll need a home inspection before putting it on the market. If the inspector finds your home needs rewiring, they recommend you get it done before selling it, and rewiring your home can increase its value.
Electrical wiring is an essential part of any home, but over time wires can become worn down or damaged, which can cause several problems in your household. Some of those problems include older fuse/circuit panels constantly being tripped, flickering lights, super high electric bills, outlets and switches that are discoloured, buzzing or hot to the touch and even burning smells coming from outlets or switches. A well-maintained electrical system keeps your family safe, helps reduce energy costs, and extends the life of appliances connected to the system. If any of these ten signs apply to you, you should call a certified professional electrician immediately.
24/7 Electrical Service Is Available whenever you need us! Call Now For A Free Estimate!
Phone: (647) 964-6730
Call now; we are ready to help 24/7!